Friday, August 28, 2009

Quotes by St. Augustine on his Feast Day

Let truth, the light of my heart, speak to me in the dark, and not my own darkness! I fell away and I was in the dark, but even from there, even from there I loved you. I went astray and I remembered you. I heard your voice behind me, calling me back, and I could scarcely hear it for all the noise made by those without your peace. And now, look, I return thirsty and panting to your fountain.

For when I seek you, my God, I am seeking the happy life.

And this is the happy life - to rejoice in you and to you and because of you. This is the happy life, there is no other.
. . . for my thoughts are on the price of my redemption; I eat it and drink it and give it to others to eat and drink. . .

Come, Lord, act upon us and rouse us up and call us back! Fire us, clutch us, let your sweet fragrance grow upon us! Let us love, let us run!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment