Friday, August 21, 2009

Not the Kool-Aid Mom

I'm not the Kool-Aid mom. My children's friends never descended on our house. I had to be sweet talked into sleepovers and play dates. It just wasn't on my to-do list.

And it still isn't, even though I'm coming down the home stretch with the youngest child. She's begged for weeks to have her best friend visit or for me to take them to a movie. She reminded me that Brit's mom has taken her to the movies twice. So, when they called to take my daughter to the movies this weekend, I felt guilty. I found myself saying the words, "Oh, it's our turn, you've taken her twice. How about this. . . how about letting me take the girls."

I don't think I will ever be the Kool-Aid mom. I like quiet. Kool-Aid moms don't mind a cacophony of voices. I like things to be calm. Kool-Aid moms don't mind chaos.

And yet, I must try. I must be willing to open my heart and home to the ones that are dear to my children.


Our Lady does this so well. She is the ultimate Kool-Aid mom. When her children come to her and beg her to let a friend come for a visit, she always has open arms. She throws her mantle over any child that comes to the doors of Mother Church and knocks. She greets them with the warmest smile and says come on in. Everybody's in the family room - and they'll be so glad to see you."

Blessed Mother, give me the grace to be more like you. Teach me what true hospitality really means.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment