Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Weakness, Your Strength


The passage below always hits home with me. I am, by nature, a quiet person (those of you who knew me in high school, I don't know what to tell you, but something changed - a lot).


By nature, I'm a contemplative.


Writing is a good fit. Marketing? Not so much. In fact, every time I try to "get my stuff out there" I feel like I am trying do precisely what this passage says I must not do.


And so, I send articles to diocesan editors and Catholic magazine editors, and I let them figure out what to do with my gift.


I post things here, and whoever comes along - well, that is up to Our Lord Jesus.


There are some roles that are not mine to wear. I am not supposed to do marketing. It feels wrong. I sense that it would get me into trouble - spiritually. It would take me out of my "little" place. And being little is what keeps me belonging to Christ.


There are others, though, who are gifted PR people. They were made for this role. Perhaps for them, writing is the wrong thing. Writing (or singing or teaching) holds temptations to pride that they they know might harm them.


And so, at least for now, I live a quiet little life. I get up in the morning and, if God gives me something to write, I write it. And that feels to me like praying in my closet. I still stay small.


God bless you and the gift you were given. What is that thing that brings you close to God, maybe even inspires another, but still helps you to remain little.

St. Therese, Little Flower, pray for us.


From today's Mass Reading:
Matthew 6:1-6,16-18
Jesus said to his disciples:
Be careful not to parade your good deeds before men to attract their notice; by doing this you will lose all reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give alms, do not have it trumpeted before you; this is what the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win men’s admiration. I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing; your almsgiving must be secret, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.
‘And when you pray, do not imitate the hypocrites: they love to say their prayers standing up in the synagogues and at the street corners for people to see them; I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you pray, go to your private room and, when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in that secret place, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

‘When you fast do not put on a gloomy look as the hypocrites do: they pull long faces to let men know they are fasting. I tell you solemnly, they have had their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that no one will know you are fasting except your Father who sees all that is done in secret; and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment