Monday, June 29, 2009

I Don't Remember Hearing About Him

When my husband became Catholic, a wonderful world opened up for us. Finally, we could talk about the faith without it ending in an argument (primarily because I no longer felt compelled to convert him - which can put a definite strain on simple conversation about faith).
I remember one day when I brought up the priestly king Melchizedek, who is mentioned in the Mass.

"Isn't it interesting how references to bread and wine seem to pop up everywhere in Holy Scripture once you become Catholic? I mean, I don't remember reading about Melchizedek before I became Catholic. Do you? We overlooked so many clues that make the case for the Eucharist in the Bible."

John thought for a moment. "I know he's mentioned in the Mass, but I still don't think he's in my Baptist Bible." He was implying that this was one of those things that didn't make it into the Protestant revision of the canon of Holy Scripture during the Protestant Reformation (like Judith and Tobit, etc.)

"Of course he is." And I ran to get his old Bible. There it was, in the Book of Genesis chapter 14 - in my husband's own Protestant Bible! Melchizedek, the King of Salem (which means Peace). Abram offers him a tithe. And the king-priest gives Abram a blessing and then he offers a sacrifice of bread and wine.

And our Catholic priests are ordained in "the Order of Melchizedek".

They are, for us, a kingly priest, blessing us and offering a sacrifice of bread and wine on our behalf - and the King and High Priest comes to us then. He comes inside of us, as the reigning King of Peace (Salem). John looked at his Bible and nodded, "Huh! You're right. He is in there."

Indeed, how much we missed!
I hope you are having a blessed Year For Priests! Be ready to give a defense for the faith and the Priestly Office!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment