Monday, September 21, 2009

Meditation on Matthew 25 (for Mothers)

One reader sent another meditation on Matthew 25 (thanks Jennifer!). The meditation can be found at:


I’ve been thinking about the Works of Mercy lately. I’ve been thinking about how the Corporal (and Spiritual) Works are a Mother’s works. Years and years ago I read something about this. I wish I could remember where I read it and could give credit to the one who inspired this long-term meditation for me. Because I cannot remember and cannot find what I read so long ago, I am recreating this based on how I have meditated on it from time to time over the years. In another installment, I will ponder the spiritual works as Mothers’ Works.


Feed the hungry


How obvious is this? As mothers, we typically have the responsibility of feeding our families. It starts at the moment of conception. We feed our growing child from our very selves. We take care to eat as well as we can while we are pregnant to ensure our babes have everything they need to grow and develop over the next 40 (or more) weeks. Once, born, we put our child to the breast again and again. We set aside our own will and our own plans to scoop up that precious baby and put him to the breast. Day or night, night or day, we continue to provide his nourishment for his body from our very own bodies, In doing this we also provide comfort, love and security.


Consider the countless batches of cookies and peanut butter sandwiches and meatloaf we put together. Too often we mindlessly engage in these duties (and privileges) without giving a thought to the great work we are doing. Because we do it out of love for our children and our husbands, we hardly consider it work at all.


Many individuals will go out into the world and feed the many hungry there. Many will volunteer at a soup kitchen or give of their resources to assist them. If we have the means and hear the call, we should help them. But we may never have the opportunity to do those things. And still, we do feed the hungry.


Through these mundane actions of motherhood, performed with love year after year, we too will hear the Lord Jesus say to us one day, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. When I was hungry, you gave me to eat.”


We may ask, “When did we see you hungry and give you to eat?” The Lord will answer, “I came to you as a little baby and you held me, fed me and comforted me. When I was a toddler you gave me good snacks while I played to keep me feeling well. When I was a child you made me eat my vegetables. When I was a teen you doubled and tripled these efforts in order to keep me satisfied. When I was a man coming home from a hard day of work you had prepared for me a feast of love to soothe the wounds of my day, even when it was only hot dogs and macaroni and cheese.”


Give drink to the thirsty


“Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. When I was thirsty, you gave me to drink.”


Again we ask, “Lord, when did I see you thirsty and give you to drink?” And He will answer, “As a baby, as a toddler, as a child, a teen and man, you came to my aid and brought me a drink.

With the countless nursings and refilling my sippy cup, in making the juice and bringing me water while I labored to cut the lawn or paint the house. When you did it for these in your care, you did it for Me.”


Clothe the naked


“Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. When I was naked, you gave me your cloak.”


“Lord, when did I see you naked?”


And He will answer, “In every diaper you changed. In the mountains of laundry over the years. In the time well spent looking for affordable clothing that fit well. Every time you put off buying that new dress so that your children could have new shoes you saw and cared for me. When you waited on that haircut so that the youngest could get a winter coat that fit, it was me you sacrificed for. When you decided that the old maternity clothes would do for one more pregnancy so that your husband could look his best for work you served me. When you did it for your family, you did it for Me.”


Shelter the Homeless


“Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. When I was homeless, you gave me shelter.”


“Lord, when did I see you homeless?” And he will answer, “Every time you washed the dishes, swept the floor, dusted the shelves, you made a home for me. Every time you welcomed someone into your home and showed them love and made them feel welcome, you welcomed and loved me. When you let the children from the neighborhood join your family for dinner or playtime, you included me. All of the acts of hospitality that you performed within your home, you gave to me.”


Visit the sick


“Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. When I was sick, you cared for me.”


“Lord, when did I care for you when you were sick?” And he will answer, “Do you remember the countless nights of rocking your sick baby? Do you remember when she threw up in her bed 3 times in a night and you generously cleaned it up and put her back to bed? Do you remember the trips to the store for special foods and medicine to bring comfort and healing to your children? Do you remember the hours spent in the waiting room to see the doctor? Do you remember bringing that meal to your friends when their mother was dying? When you did all of these things, you did it to me.”


Visit those in prison


“Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. When I was imprisoned, you visited me.”


“Lord, when did I visit you when you were imprisoned?” And he will answer, “Prisons are not only made of bars. When your babies were “imprisoned” by the limitations of their size and their inability to walk, you carried them to and fro. When your children were “imprisoned” by the limits you set for them, by being unable to do what other children were doing, you provided them with good alternatives. When your teens were “imprisoned” by peer pressure, you came to them to encourage and strengthen them. When your children were imprisoned by fear of failure, addiction or sin, you spent countless hours and sleepless nights on your knees, bringing them to me, entrusting them to My Heart for healing and freedom. When your husband was “imprisoned” by the labor of his work for your family, you provided a home that was a haven for him. When you did these things, you did it to me.”


The vocation of wife and mother is such a beautiful way of service to the Lord. It is such a beautiful path to holiness. Let us pray for the grace to be faithful to our vocation so that at our own judgment we will hear,


“Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world, you who spent a hidden life of service to me through the family I gave to you.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment