Friday, September 25, 2009

Flu Shots and Waiting Rooms

This morning, my daughter received her flu shot.

We arrived early for the appointment (we were asked to make an appointment - to be sure she could get in). We waited almost an hour past the scheduled appointment time.


Two mothers, one with an infant and one with a toddler, walked to the front desk and voiced their irritation at having to wait. One of the mothers returned to her seat and pulled out her cell phone (ignoring the sign on the wall that said turn OFF cell phones) and proceeded to tell someone on the other end of the phone that she was still waiting and was ticked off (she had a few other choice words that I won't write here). Everyone in the small waiting room could hear (whether they wanted to or not) that she was calling so-and-so when she got home and she was going to try to get into another office.


It was hard to blame the mothers for their frustration. The mother of the infant didn't have formula along, and the lengthy wait was sure to become a crisis at some point. "They're just going to have to give me some formula if they don't get us in soon," she said before ending her phone call.


About that time, another mother picked up her toddler and began singing softly. "I have the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart. . . "


It made me smile.


I realized that I had been given a choice. To rant. Or to rejoice. While I didn't feel like being joyful (since we had been there an hour already), joy was still an option. I was still free to choose. Would I bless or curse? I watched as other patients' names were called, those who had arrived after me, and I felt irritated too. Would I speak my mind or wait awhile longer?


But the choice between blessing and cursing went beyond that, even. I could choose to judge the frustrated mother or feel compassion. I didn't have a hungry baby. My daughter was old enough to "get" that the room was full, lots of people were waiting, and eventually, she would have her turn.

I decided not to say anything to the already stressed secretary. But I also decided not to judge the mother who had vented in front of the entire waiting room.


So many choices.


I watched the little girl as her mother sang. She smiled and joined in. "I have the joy, joy, joy, joy . . . down in my heart."


In Deuteronomy 30:19 we read that God sets before us the option of curses or blessings - we are given the great gift of choosing which it will be.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment