Friday, May 8, 2009

When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd


We’ve gotta stop keep meeting like this.

Bob and I see each other every Friday morning at 3 A.M. This morning, he met me at the door of the Adoration Chapel and asked me to unlock the passenger door to my car. He pulled a lilac bush from his car and placed it gently on the seat of my Volvo.

I have wanted a lilac bush with purple flowers since I was about twelve. I still remember the scent of a lilac bush in full bloom. And that scent pulls me back to childhood just as vividly as time travel, if there really were such a thing.

My little lilac bush sat in the front seat of my car and waited for me to finish praying. Two hours later, I got in the driver's seat and headed for home.


I already have the whole thing planned. That bush will grow into a lovely mature plant and my own grandchildren will build olfactory memories of the days spent at Grandma's house. And I will tell them the story of Bob, and how we met every week before the Blessed Sacrament.


And they will get a sense of the connection that exists between generations (Bob is in his eighties) and a greater appreciation for memories and they will discover just how important prayer was to their grandmother.


Yes, I am about as sentimental as they come. And I cannot wait for lilac blooms in my own back yard. And as for grandchildren, I think I'm ready for those, too.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I think I have become a real fan. I check in at least once a week to see what is new. I loved this. Of cource I am sentimental too. Enjoy the Lilac Bush, they are fun to have in the yard.

    Ps. When you post only one shows a time. did you do that on purpose? I miss seeing a bunch of posts at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, I am posting an answer to your question here in case somebody else has the same question.

    You have me set up as a favorite on your blog and it keeps track of my latest posts. When you click on that button, you go to the latest post. If you notice, I think the address is slightly longer. Rather than www.catholicbygrace.blogspot.com - there is a tag that sends you directly to the article you clicked on.

    If you want to see a running sequence of articles, you can put in the simple address (without the tag).

    Hopefully, this helps.

    ReplyDelete