Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Breaking Bread and Praying the Our Father


Fr. Dominic of Breaking Bread was one of my favorite Catholics before I ever considered entering the Church.
I became a fan about ten or twelve years ago. That's when I began baking bread.
I am not exaggerating when I say I make bread (or baguettes or rolls) almost every day.


And I find that it is a spiritual experience. It was probably the first daily activity that crossed over and became a moment of grace for me.


As Catholics, we know how to translate everything into such moments. Everything can take us to the throne of grace.


Even baking bread.


I mix and knead, and as I move through the two or three hour event of baking bread, I pray the Our Father.


Give us this day. . .


I roll out the dough and put it in a pan.


Our daily bread. . .


I let it cool and share it with family and friends.


And I reaffirm my Catholic faith. "Everything is grace" (as St. Therese said). Even baking bread.


It is time for me to do a second round of kneading. The bread dough is calling.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment