Friday, May 22, 2009

Calling All Introverts


I like to stay at home. If I had my preference, I would be a reclusive writer and only my closest family would know me.


But that is not God's plan.


A long time ago, I heard someone say that the best presidential candidate would be the one who loved his country, but absolutely did not want or seek to be the president. He alone would understand that he is called to serve, not to be served.


Insiders say that is how it was for Pope Benedict XVI. He wanted to live a quiet life. He did not seek to be the Shepherd of the entire Church. His love for the Bride of Christ enabled him to say yes when he probably preferred to say no.


The same is true for many of the Saints. They lived in obscurity, only to rise up and give witness to Truth. It was God's good pleasure to lift them up.


So, it is okay to prefer being little and hidden. It just isn't okay to cling to it when God calls you to speak up.


It is possible, likely even, that you are a wonderful candidate for spreading the Gospel - for the very reason these holy ones were called. Your goal is not personal gain. It is all for Christ.


You have a light. Go ahead and let it shine.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment