Friday, May 1, 2009

A Far More Intriguing Question than "What would you do if you found out God doesn't exist?"




Many years ago, a skeptic asked me what I would do if I came face-to-face with something that proved definitively that God does not exist.



I remember telling him that I couldn’t begin to answer that question because, for me, it was like asking what you would do if you found out the sun doesn’t exist. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t know it was there, sense that it was shining on me, and delight in its warmth.



The real question is, what would you do if you found out that your faith did not account for the fullness of Truth? Basically, what would you do if you found out your denomination doesn’t hold the complete fullness of faith, and you don’t know that because you only see what you’ve been given. What if you found out there is more.


Would you reject it?


Perhaps you say you’ve already considered that. I beg you to suspend your disbelief for just a moment. Consider the source. You learned at the feet of Protestant parents. You sat with Protestant Sunday school teachers. You read the books by Protestants writers, published by Protestant publishers.


What if there is more? What if you came face-to-face with something that proved definitively that there is more? What if you found out that there is a Church that has been around for over 2000 years and Jesus Christ established it Himself? What would you do then?


That is the question.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. WOW, That was a great answer to a difficult question. I am always amazed at the eliquant answers people give to faith based questions. I have been surching to give the right answers to my sons ever since they started asking...how do we know God exists? Why would God to _____? Are you going to heaven? What is heaven like? Does God hear my thoughts? YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Denise! This reminds me of when I RE-discovered my own Catholic heritage . . . after wandering off as a prodigal daughter for a number of years.

    ReplyDelete