Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tons of Tomatoes

I have never had success at growing anything - until this year.

The green beans grew well. The green onions - quite well. But the roma tomatoes grew like kudzu in Atlanta.


I've got tomatoes in the refrigerator, tomatoes up and down the countertop, and even more tomatoes ripe and ready to be picked, still on the vine. I can see them from the house. Little bright red balls in a mass of green leaves.


For once, I understand the verse, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Pray that the Lord of the harvest will send workers into the field."


If souls are as ripe and ready as my tomato plants, then the Lord of the harvest must be really frustrated by lack of workers.


The worst thing I can imagine is for those tomatoes to sit out there and rot on the vine.


And so, this morning, I gathered up as many as I could, even went outside and picked more, and I put them in ziploc bags and gave them away.


What a sense of accomplishment. This is how it should be. Every tomato has a home.


You are the worker in God's fields. The Lord of the harvest needs you to help harvest the souls that are ripe and ready, the souls that are waiting, the souls that just might rot on the vine if the workers don't answer the call to go and bring them into the House.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment