Monday, July 6, 2009

Lessons from the Strawberry Bed

My mother told me that I can multiply my strawberry plants many times over if I would be willing to pluck off the blossoms as soon as they appear. I must sacrifice strawberries for a few weeks, perhaps even for a season, but the plants will give themselves over to sending out runners - provided they aren't focused on their own fruit development.

These new runners will shoot off in many directions and become new plants, Mom said. And eventually, we will enjoy even more fruit than we would have with those few original plants.


She was right. I think I have quadrupled my strawbery bed in just a matter of weeks.


Sounds a little like St. Therese. Saint Therese said that she would spend her heaven doing good upon earth, sending down a shower of roses from heaven. This Little Flower was willing to be plucked by Our Lord - so that she could send out runners. So that there would be far more fruit for the Kingdom of God.


Have you petitioned her to send out runners down to you? Are those little blossoms ready to produces good fruit?

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment