Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When It Seems Like God Isn't Listening


My email is messed up. I've sent a number of emails today, and they all come back with a system failure. It's okay. The emails weren't hugely important. In fact, one was to my husband. When that one didn't go through, I just walked down the hall and found him sitting at the desk in the home office. I told him what I wanted. Dumb, I know. But we have come to rely on email when he is on a business call and I feel like telling him something.


I feel like this sometimes when I pray. It seems like nothing is getting through. My human perception of things tells me there is a system failure. God's not listening. The Saints aren't paying attention. And I'm wasting my time trying.


That's when I realize I have another recourse. It may sound crazy, but I give even the "system failure" to God. I offer it up. I try a more traditional approach (kind of like getting up and walking to the home office). I say the Our Father. And I stop worrying about "getting through" to God.


Then I go back to life and just keep working my way through the day.


About then, my husband announces: "That email you sent. . . it finally came through."


And I smile and say, "Finally."


My husband thinks I'm talking to him. God knows I'm really talking to Him. . . and I know He's listening.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment