Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Good Christians Sometimes Disagree"


"Good Christians sometimes disagree." My husband hit the button so the radio would stop scanning stations, and he just listened a minute as the evangelist elaborated on his profound analysis. (I think John does this just to test my patience.)


The preacher went on to cite the Council of Jerusalem in the Book of Acts. He explained that sometimes good Christians have to sit down together and talk things out. Sometimes they have to agree to disagree. Sometimes, he said, they figure it out by doing what those men in the Acts of the Apostles did.


I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sure my husband was just waiting for my little outburst. I didn't make him wait very long. Within minutes, I started talking to the radio-evangelist like he was sitting right there in the car with us. And then Peter stood up and they all listened to him. And that settled the matter at the Council of Jerusalem. And what's more, it was a Council. Get it? As in Vatican Council II and all the other Councils throughout Church History. You are right about one thing. We should all be doing what these Apostles did. That's where I stopped talking to the radio and turned to my husband. But of course, this preacher doesn't believe any of that because that's all Catholic!

John just smiled. Two years ago, we would have been on the brink of an argument. But not anymore. Now, my husband has studied enough Church History that he knows I'm not just making it all up as I go along. He's read the Catechism and weighed Holy Scripture against Church History. He's asked these same questions, and he's gotten answers. Now, he just likes to play with me and see how long I can stay quiet.

And he knows that it is true that Christians sometimes disagree. But thank God we both know that we have a place to go, a place where matters are settled.

"The apostles and the presbyters met together to see about this matter. After much debate had taken place, Peter got up. . ." Acts 15:6-7

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment