Thursday, February 26, 2009

What's Your "Stations" Story?



If you grew up with the Stations of the Cross, you might find my ignorance odd. The first time I saw/prayed (or whatever one does at) the Stations of the Cross, I felt more like an observer. I still feel that way a little.





Today, I stopped by the Adoration Chapel and an elderly woman and her daughter were praying. The older woman stood up and walked to the first Station, carrying a little booklet with her. She paused at each picture and read something from her booklet and prayed; then she moved to the next one. I had never seen the Stations of the Cross prayed by an individual. I've never prayed them by myself.





And I certainly have spent enough time in the middle of the night at St. Joseph's Chapel to do it. It's just, well, I didn't know how one actually does it.





But, I'm going to begin doing this. Lent is as good of a time as any to begin the practice. Like many unfamiliar Catholic devotions, this one will probably take some time. I won't feel like I know what I'm doing for awhile. I'll just be obedient. . . and eventually, it will become a natural expression of the love I have for Our Lord.





I remember the testimony a young Carmelite nun gave to a group of 8th graders a few years back. She told the story of how she went to a retreat for young women at the monastery. She thought God might be calling her to religious life, but she wasn't sure. And if He was calling her, she wasn't sure she wanted to say yes. She went to the chapel and began praying the Stations of the Cross. She said it was hard. Agonizing. A real labor of love. Each step, she wanted to say no, but she felt the call getting stronger, clearer, undeniaby so. By the time she reached the final Station, she was sobbing, she said. Absolutely spent. And yet, she was ready to say yes.





Her testimony was powerful. She thought she was talking to a group of 8th graders about "hearing the call to religious life" - and so she was.





But she was also talking about the power of the Stations of the Cross. I am ready to discover that power for myself.





What's your "Stations" story? I would love to hear it.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment