Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The article that went to three continents

During Lent a few years ago, somebody ran a television campaign which encouraged Catholics to “Come Home for Easter.” Those ads were so well done that they made even me want to “come home” – and back then, I was still a strong evangelical Protestant. I think it’s time we put together another television campaign.

(Marcus Grodi of CHN above)

This time, I think we need to throw the net out even further.

What if we decided to invite everyone to come back home this Easter. What if we sent an invitation to the Baptists and the Presbyterians and the Lutherans. Maybe we could cast out even further and invite those of other faiths – and those with no faith.

I have heard many American Catholics commiserating about how many young people they have lost to other churches. “How do we keep our young people Catholic?” they ask. Maybe you’ve said those words yourself.

Here’s an idea. Why not try to reach those zealous, turned-on, deep-in-love-with-Jesus Protestants and encourage them to become Catholic? Not possible, you say. I have an idea, and I think it just might work. But be ready to stand back, because the RCIA classes at your local parish will be so large that they may have to move to the fellowship hall or a nearby auditorium. Maybe it will be a great Protestant exodus and all we need is one Moses – or about 1000 of them – to lead the way.

According to the Coming Home Network International, about 1000 Protestant clergymen and clergywomen have converted to the Catholic faith. It’s time to get the word out. If it is possible to put together another quality ad campaign, we will not only stop the hemorrhage of young people to Protestantism, we will help our separated brethren come home en masse.

The scene opens with a close-up on Dr. Scott Hahn. He smiles and says, “Hello, I’m Scott Hahn, a former Presbyterian minister.”

Cut to another image. “I’m Alex Jones, and I’m Robert Rice, and we’re former Pentecostal preachers.”

“Hello, I’m Doug Gonzales, former Nazarene preacher.”

“And we’re David Twellman, Mike Franklin and Paul Thigpen, former Methodist ministers.”
“I’m Peter Holmes and I’m Noah Lett, and we’re former Lutheran ministers.

”My name is Al Kresta, former non-denominational pastor.”

“We’re John Scott and Steve Wood, former Presbyterian pastors.”

“My name is Jeffrey Bail; I’m a former Baptist pastor – and so are we,” says Fr. Gray Bean and countless others.

“And we’re former Episcopal and Anglican priests (Michael Cumbie and others).”

“I’m Larry Dimock, former United Church of Christ pastor.”

The camera uses a wide-angle to reveal a room filled to capacity. One gentleman stands in front of the group of nearly 690 people. He smiles, with that kind, gentle, pastoral smile we converts have come to love and respect deeply. “And my name is Marcus Grodi. I am a former Presbyterian minister. And all of us here today have a few things in common. First, we love Jesus Christ with every part of our being, and we have a deep, sincere, and very personal relationship with Our Lord Jesus Christ. We also happen to all be . . .”

In unison, and with a great triumphant chord, they all say, “. . . Catholic.”

“Yes, we are all Catholic,” Marcus Grodi says. “Won’t you consider coming home to the Catholic faith? Isn’t it time you found out what the Catholic Church really believes?”

As a former Protestant, I can honestly say the Protestant viewers will be stunned. And many will begin the journey home. What’s more, the cradle Catholics sitting beside them in those Protestant churches will take notice, probably even break out in a cold sweat and sprint home to the nearest Catholic Church.

Consider doing something to help make this possible. Print out this article and send it with a dollar or two (or as much as you can send) to:

The Coming Home Network International
P.O. Box 8290
Zanesville, OH 43702



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment