Friday, August 13, 2010

August Catholic by Grace Article

When we were dating, my husband said those three little words first. He knew my history and was well aware of my doubts in things like lasting love and fidelity. After a little gentle and careful wooing, he took a gamble and told me he loved me. Before I could formulate a reply, he quickly assured me that he didn’t expect me to say anything to that. My reply could wait. He told me that he had time, all the time in the world. And he would wait as long as necessary for me to figure it all out.

Deacon Weishaar shares an interesting fact about God in his first lesson with the Confirmation class at Immaculate Heart of Mary in New Melle, Missouri. This is my third year as his assistant, so I know what’s coming. “What is the most dangerous gift God has given to us?” He poses the question and the students stare at him blankly, waiting for him to supply the answer.


“Free will!” he says quite loudly, and all of the students jump in their seats. “God gave you life. He died on a cross for your redemption, but He is the perfect gentleman. He never forces Himself on anyone. Being God, He could make us love Him.” The deacon’s voice gets soft now, as he tries to convey the mystery of such love. “But God doesn’t do it. He lets you decide how you will respond to that kind of love.”


Incredibly, the God who made you also gives you the option of loving Him or turning your back and walking the other way. The Creator of all living things lets you decide how to respond to Perfect Love.


Back when I was dating the man who has been my husband for nearly 14 years, I had three options. When he said that he loved me, I could have run in the other direction. And to be honest, I was scared enough that I thought about it. I also could have said the words back to him, though I knew I wasn’t ready. It would have filled the awkward silence, but it wouldn’t have meant very much because it would have been a knee-jerk response.


I chose the third option. I decided to stick around long enough to know for certain. I watched him. I tested him a little (poor guy). I wanted to know if this was real. I gave him time to prove himself, and I gave my heart time to heal. Like a gentleman, he gave me all the time I needed.


And that’s what RCIA class is all about. The letters stand for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. But here it is at the most basic level:


There is a class that meets every year in every Catholic parish. The classes usually form in August or September. For those of us who were raised outside of the Catholic Church (or with no faith at all), we have a way to stick around the Bridegroom and see if He’s for real. We can give Him time to prove Himself to be the Eucharistic Lord Jesus Christ who comes to us in the Holy Mass, under the appearance of bread and wine. Through RCIA, Our Lord gives each one of us time to let our hearts (and souls) heal from previous wounds . . . a failed marriage, a disillusioned spiritual life, a persistent doubt. RCIA is a lot like dating – it’s a kind of spiritual courtship.


It’s really an invitation to love, but you don’t have to make any statements of love and fidelity until you are ready. It’s a time to let God do what He does oh so well - woo the soul.


Sure, you can run away from the greatest love humankind has ever known. But then, you will never really know what might have been. God sets a choice before you, and then He waits. He gives you that most dangerous gift. The gift of choosing what to do with the offering of a Perfect Love.


Here’s my advice: Stick around and ask Jesus to show you more of Himself. Call your nearest Catholic Church and ask them about RCIA. And then, look out, because you are about to be swept off your feet.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I was the one that spoke those 3 words first to John, and I believe he was much like you. He decided to stick around too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me smile. I would have guessed that about you. Teresa, you have been gifted with much love and abiding hope. A very lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete