Wednesday, April 22, 2009

That First Bike Ride







My dad convinced me to get on the bike - the one without training wheels. I should have seen it all coming. But I didn't. I simply obeyed my father.

I threw my leg over the banana seat, and Dad grabbed the back of the bike and started running. My legs were moving fast to keep up with the pedals.

Then, he let go. I was on my own, blazing down the country lane with wind in my face and no understanding of brakes.

For a moment, I thought my dad might not love me as much as I had always believed he did. I'm going to die. I was sure of it. And my own father had flung me down the road to meet my doom.

It didn't end well. I landed in a ditch and started crying.

The next thing I remember was being held by my dad. Years later, I learned that he had watched me go - and kept on watching until the crazy ride finally ended. He said that he had been as worried about me as I had been for myself.
God the Father has done this to me many times as well. Those "teachable moments" can be really frightening. They can even make us wonder if God has stopped loving us or that He has some evil plan in mind for us.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
What is God the Father prodding you to try? Go ahead, climb aboard and let Him give you a push. Unlike earthly fathers, God is omnipotent and He really will protect you as you walk in His plan for your life.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment