Saturday, January 8, 2011

Packing Up Christmas - not nearly as enjoyable as preparing for Christmas

Taking down Christmas decorations has always been one of my least favorite duties. It takes more time than I want to give it. Everything needs to be carefully organized and packed away. It indicates that a season of wonder and expectation has come to an end.

And I'm just not ready to let it go.

As Catholics, we have a beautiful perspective on how to pass through those things we'd rather not pass through. We find a similar spiritual condition, identify with it, and offer up our struggle for the good of the Church.

This year, I'm thinking about the Holy Family. The days in Bethlehem came to a sudden and difficult end. They had to pack everything and move on. It must have seemed to be the end of a season of wonder and expectation, with only ordinary days of just surviving up ahead.

Today, I'm going to take down Christmas decorations. I'm going to carefully pack away my Nativity and wrap the pieces one at a time. I'm going to carry the boxes to the basement. And I'm going to remember the Holy Family as they fled into Egypt - and all those who, even today, are facing the end of something they have treasured, which now has come to an end.


May the Holy Family give them strength to press on.
(artwork by Giotto di Bondone)

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I, too, dislike "packing up" ... the downside of the Christmas holiday. I will keep this in mind and share the thought with some who are going through just what you mention.

    Blessings in 2011!

    ReplyDelete