Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wait in Joyful Hope . . .

Every once in awhile, a piece of the Liturgy will grab my attention. Today, it was this: Wait in joyful hope. . .

I'm tempted to doubt and despair sometimes. Oh, not in the things of faith as much as in what will happen next and how things will turn out in the end.

Today is Divine Mercy Sunday. Those who know anything about this feast will immediately associate this day with an image of Our Lord - an image in which white and red rays stream from the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ. At the bottom of the image, we read the words: Jesus, I trust in you.

Wait in joyful hope . . .

Jesus, I trust in you . . .

These are the antidotes to doubt and despair. I can have hope. I can have joy. I can have all that is good and holy, but I have to drop the need to see-in-order-to-believe. St. Thomas once said that he would have to see in order to believe. But Our Lord has said, blessed is he who believes and has not seen. Jesus is describing the person who has learned the way to joy and hope and lost the heavy weight of doubt and despair.


Blessed Divine Mercy Sunday. Go into your week with joy and trust in the risen Christ!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment