Friday, January 8, 2010

Preparing for Iowa

I'm preparing for my trip to Iowa. My husband and I will brave the elements and drive to Dubuque, where I will give two talks to a group of Sophomore Confirmation students.

So, I've been thinking about the trip. And our Faith. And the time with my husband. . .


And I guess God knew that I needed a little help getting ready.


I have given very little time to Archangel Raphael in these last four-and-a-half years as a Catholic. I didn't know that he was the patron saint of travellers. Didn't know that he likes to intercede in matters of the heart, especially where husbands and wives are concerned. I hadn't ever thought of turning to him for help in spreading the joy of the Gospel message.


I stumbled upon him last night while surfing the Internet. When I reviewed one site dedicated to this Archangel, I realized that his divine resume was just what I needed.


This morning, he prompted me to take time for a visit to the confessional.


I know why I'm Catholic. It always hits me in times like this. I'm Catholic because I'm not yet holy. But I want to become a saint. And I need all the help I can get.


There is no greater source of help in this journey than Mother Church - who brings us to the Sacraments, the saints, the Archangels and angels, the Sacred Scriptures, the Blessed Mother, and countless prayers and devotions that all lead us to God.


Yes, I'm Catholic because I can use all the help I can get.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment