Monday, January 4, 2010

It's Not About the Brand

I have to buy laundry detergent today. Have to. I poured out the last drop of it yesterday.

A year ago, I completely changed the brand of laundry detergent that we use around our house. No, I'm not going to make a pitch for the new brand. I wouldn't know what to call it any way.

I use the store brand. Or the no-brand. Or whatever is on sale.

I used to buy premium laundry detergent . . . until St. Elizabeth Ann Seton got ahold of me. It's her feast day today. Did you know that?

I'm fascinated by her for a number of reasons. One, she's a convert* to the Catholic Church. Two, her grandfather - if I remember correctly - was an Anglican minister**. Three, she was tough in the face of loss. Her mother died. Her father died. Her husband died. Two of her children died. Her sisters died.

I probably would have wanted to die too.

But not Elizabeth Seton. Instead, she grabbed ahold of the grace she found in Mother Church and she let it change her.

Then she went out and changed her world.

My favorite quote by Elizabeth Seton?

Live simply, so that all may simply live. (From a speech given in the Diocese of Baltimore)

Last January, I changed a number of things in my life. Some things stuck. Like laundry detergent. I spend about the same amount of money . . . but I buy two no-brands instead of one premium brand . . . and I give one to the St. Vincent de Paul Center.

That one little change means that another family had clean clothes last year.

This year, what will you change - so that all may simply live?

*Convert - I am as well
**Grandchild of a minister - I'm the daughter of a minister
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment