Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Economy is Bad - but not that bad




I bought a chicken at the store today. Nothing special. Just a bird. When I got back home, I unpacked the groceries and took a look at the receipt. Imagine my surprise when I realized that the chicken cost $49.35!


Of course, it was a mistake. The chicken was supposed to ring up $4.93.

I know the economy stinks right now. I know that many people are afraid. Our 401K is worth less than 1/2 what it once was worth. The Dow is crazy-low.

But the good news is that a chicken is still just 88 cents per pound. If I'm careful with the budget, I can still help out the food pantry and give to my parish. The sky isn't falling just yet.

Remember the Lenten trifecta: prayer, fasting, and alms-giving. Don't omit the last one just because the DOW is down and the 401K has taken a dive.

It's Lent. And we can still afford to give. . .

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment