Thursday, February 11, 2010

What are you giving your wife for Valentine's Day this year?

'Tis the Season . . . husbands asking wives what do you want for Valentine's Day? (Subtitled: I want to give you what you want so that you aren't disappointed when the day is over.)

Of course, there's a greater motivation, one we hope is at the bedrock of our husband's heart. I want to give you your heart's desire because I love you with all of my heart . . . and not merely to keep you from becoming disappointed or angry.

We should approach Lent in a similar way.

The Adequate: What should I give you this year, Lord? I want to give you what you want from me so that you aren't disappointed when the season comes to a close.

The Greater: What can I give you, Lord, that will show you that I love you with all of my heart . . . and I am not merely trying to keep from disappointing you?


We are kind of like those husbands who ask one another the question, "Hey, what are you giving your wife this year?" We ask each other, "Hey, what are you giving up for Lent this year?" And we do a gut-check when we hear the answer.

Am I doing at least that much? Will Our Lord be pleased with me? Wow, that's a great Lenten Sacrifice. I can do better than what I had planned. What would be a good offering? What would show my love the best?

As we approach Valentine's Day, putting great thought into getting that holiday right, let us consider even more seriously what we will give to Our Lord this Lent.

Valentine's Day is a pale reflection of what we hope to do during Lent. One expresses our earthly love to our spouse. One expresses our eternal love to Our Lord.

What are you giving Him this year?

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment