Thursday, February 4, 2010

What About Indulgences - a friend writes . . .

Here's my friend's question:

The only thing so far not covered by RCIA is indulgences. I seem to have got the idea from the past that indulgences are bad - but it was the selling of them that is wrong - not the actual indulgence in itself. I know you have told me before about the double consequence of sin - when you wrote about purgatory. It seems the indulgence removes that either in part or in full.

Part of me just rebels against this whole indulgence thing. I think- I can just leave it all up to God's grace and mercy, but I suppose if an indulgence is going to be offered I may as well get it.

I wonder what your thoughts on indulgences were as you came into the Church.

My reply:

Yes, it is a tough one because we (former Protestants) have baggage. And that is all we were given with regard to Indulgences. You have a good memory - that there are two aspects to sin - forgiveness/reconciliation and the fulfillment of the temporal punishment attached to a specific sin. And yes, temporal punishment remains. Like when you broke something in anger as a child and your mother forgave you when you were sorry (true contrition with the Sacrament of Confession), but there was still something more needed. Something more to make it right. The temporal part had to be addressed.

What we struggle with is the scandal of selling Indulgences - that baggage that sticks with us and lingers in the form of uneasiness. Somehow, cradle Catholics find it easier to see the good and true and right even as they recognize the part that was wrong (selling what should be offered without money and received in acts of love and devotion). Sometimes, the Church has had to reform practices that are not in keeping with what the Church teaches. And this is one of them. Selling Indulgences was a scandal, and it was not in keeping with Church teaching -- in fact, it scandalized the true teachings of the Church (and scandal always brings harm to the Body of Christ and the Unity of the Church). As an aside, that should be a lesson to all of us to never bring scandal to Mother Church. We must strive in all things and in all ways to share the true teachings. It should also give us joy to know that God will never let the gates of hell prevail - even in scandal - and that Mother Church will make it through every storm. Okay, back to the topic.

Indulgences (as something the Church offers to us for the remission of temporal punishment) is a blessed opportunity. It is usually offered to the Faithful as an opportunity to embrace acts of love and devotion - things that build up the Kingdom of God through prayer and pilgrimages and the special and unique "yes" that we give to Mother Church and Our Lord Jesus Christ.

As with all things Catholic, there is order and rhyme to this teaching. And the venues for Indulgences are rightly ordered too. Here's the thing. You don't have to say yes to a single Indulgence. You are given the choice. It is not required, though the temporal payment for sin will one day be required, and Our Lord will provide you with a way, even if it is during that preparation when all that remains is purged (purgatory) so that you can stand before a Living and Holy God and not be destroyed upon seeing Him face-to-face.

But the Church is offering the Faithful venues for love and devotion, special ways to seek remission for what remains.

When I was a child, my mother asked me to go downstairs and move the clean laundry from the washing machine and put it into the dryer. I didn't want to do it. I was angry because she had interrupted my free time. I went downstairs and moved the laundry and I slammed the dryer door so hard (in anger) that a piece of the latch broke off. I took that broken part up and had to tell Mom what I had done. She forgave me. But she said that I still had to pay for the repair. I remember that all was righted (though I was already forgiven) when I paid for the part and gave the new part to Mom. Strange how this fits, isn't it? Even the allowance which I used to buy the part came from Mom. She simply gave me the idea, the venue, for making amends.

And that is how it is with Indulgences. She (Mother Church) gives us the opportunity to say yes to an Indulgence, and we can give it back in the form of love and devotion -- so that all will be made right. I know it isn't a perfect metaphor, but I was still forgiven by Mom; I still had a place at the table; I still had a home in my parents' home. But something more was required for all to be set aside.


And we, though forgiven, still have a place at the Table and a home in the Home.

Soon, you will be fully Home. You are about to begin that final journey, through Lent, to Holy Saturday. This is the holiest journey we make this side of eternity. My heart swells with joy for you, dear one. Soon, you will walk the aisle and make your way to the Table of Our Lord. May your journey continue to be a season of many graces. I am still here for you. Always, here.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment