Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blessed Feast of St. Genevieve

In 1987, the book was everywhere. Americans anxious to prove their level of cultural literacy bought the book and studied it like a textbook. E.D. Hirsch, Jr. had hit a nerve with his book Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know.

To be honest, I bought the book Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know for the very same reason. As a new convert, I wanted to know everything Diane Moczar could tell me about Catholic history, not because I like history. I don’t. In fact, it’s one of my least favorite subjects. But I had come to realize, at least at some level, that John Henry Newman was right. “To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant.” And I wanted as much information as I could get in order to be ready in season and out of season with my defense of the faith. (II Timothy 4:2)

Unfortunately, I have a terrible memory for dates, but when I saw St. Genevieve on the Church Calendar today, I remembered that she was in the book. I pulled the book from the shelf, along with a few other sources, and read her story once again.

She was born around 422 A.D. near Paris. She called the city of Paris to prayer twice in an effort to save the city from destruction. The first time, Attila II was headed for Paris, but at the last minute, he led his men around the city instead, for no apparent reason.

The second time came more than forty years later, when Clovis set his sights on the city. This head of the Frankish forces was known for pillaging churches and destroying everything in his path. St. Genevieve, like Judith of old, was not intimidated when Clovis laid siege to the city. She prayed earnestly for the conversion of the young, impetuous leader. What could soften the heart of such a hardened soul?

Clovis fell in love with a young woman named Clotilda, a devout Catholic, and they were married. Eventually, his wife’s faith changed Clovis, and he asked to be baptized, along with all of his men. The event set the stage for a Catholic France. It seemed that God had heard St. Genevieve’s prayers once more. This leader didn’t bypass Paris. Genevieve herself welcomed the young couple into the city once Clovis was baptized and led her new friends through the city gates. She “was their supporter and counselor” from that day forward.

I probably won’t remember this incredible story for more than a few days. That’s how my mind is with dates and historical events. But one thing will stay with me. St. Genevieve was a woman of prayer – and God listened when she prayed.

Let us commit to praying for our cities and dioceses and like this saint, believe that God will hear our prayers.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment