Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Her Husband Stopped Practicing The Faith - the wife's pain

About a year ago, I stopped by my parish during the middle of the week and had a conversation with one of the cantors. She told me how blessed she was by my husband's conversion to the Catholic Church - and she said how much she wished her own husband would come back and be reconciled to Mother Church.

She told me that I was very blessed - and explained how difficult and painful it is to love the Lord and His Church, but to have a husband who has no time for any of it.


I thought for a minute before responding. "My husband's conversion is an answer to prayer - a miracle. But you know what? When you are in that season of time when your spouse does not see the Church as you do, it is very hard. Even if it lasts only a year or two, even if he eventually enters the Church - or in your case, even if he comes back to the Church - it is still very hard when you are stuck in that agonizing waiting period that comes before the miracle. That season when you are not together in what you believe is painful. And I think it is most painful because we do not know if the miracle will ever happen. How easy it would be if we knew it was only a year or two away. We could be so strong. We would be so faithful in praying and anticipating our answer. It's the fact that we do not know that tests our faith. Imagine what it would be like if you knew he would come back to the Church in just a year. Keep praying. You just never know."


On Sunday, Debbie told me that her husband has come back Home. He is engaged once again in this journey of faith.


Debbie waited for years. I only waited two years. But when you are in that season of waiting, it is hard to hope. It is difficult to imagine that things will ever change. You don't know how long it will take - or if it will ever happen at all. And that's the hardest part.


But imagine, what would it be like if you knew it was only one more year!


That's what I said to Debbie - just 12 months ago. Neither of us knew that it would be exactly one more year. God is so good.
If you are in this situation, pray like it is only one more year! Hope like it will be just 12 more months! Do not despair. God is so good.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment