Thursday, April 30, 2009

Never Lose Hope for Reconciliation and Conversion

I have two hours every week with our Eucharistic Lord. It requires getting up at 2:30 in the morning and drinking coffee until I am finally able to keep my eyes open. Then, I spend the hours of 3 to 5 A.M. at the Adoration chapel.


I pray for the same thing every week. Sometimes, there are additional petitions. But always, I pray for the conversion and reconciliation of a certain set of dear ones.


On Thursday evening (tonight), I always wonder why I do it. I have doubts that my prayers are making any difference.


This afternoon, I received an email from Dr. Robert Moynihan at Inside the Vatican. No, I don't know him personally. I'm simply on the mailing list.


Anyway, today's article posed the question: What has Kirill, Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church, done since his election, and what are the prospects for a meeting with Pope Benedict XVI?


Maybe you don't know church history. The rift between these two branches came nearly 1,000 years ago (in 1054).


But the article points out that Pope Benedict XVI believes and has said that he held “firm hope” of uniting the two Churches.


Okay, if the Holy Father can pray for that union - and pray with expectation - then I can get up again in the middle of the night and pray for a handful of people who are dear to me.
Tonight, I will pray the same prayers again, but I will also add Pope Benedict and Patriarch Kirill's petition to my list. What a wonderful day of reconciliation that would be!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment