Monday, June 24, 2013

Women, we have too much to do to worry about the size of our jeans and the color of our hair.

If you haven't read Proverbs 31 lately, you need to pick up your Bible.

Women, we have too much to do to worry about the size of our jeans and the color of our hair. I've been thinking about this a lot. Maybe it's because the number of grandchildren in our family doubled this year. I'm a grandma - not just of a couple of babies - but of four grandchildren. Four. And two of them are definitely not babies anymore.

It's time for me to have some new priorities.

Time to be the woman in Proverbs 31.

The important question (as I face the last half of life) is what will Our Lord have to say when the size of my jeans and the color of my hair have no relevance. What will Jesus judge me on then?

How did I spend my time?

What did I worry about?

Who did I try to imitate and emulate?

Where did I spend my money?

It doesn't mean that I should give up looking the best I can for the age I'm at and the DNA I've inherited. It's not a license to eat donuts for breakfast and French fries every day.

But it does mean that I need to take every thought captive. I need to rethink what I think about every day. It's time to take stock of my choices.

How I spend my time.
What I worry about.
Who I want to be like.
Where I readily drop twenty dollar bills.

Baby, you look pretty good for your age, but it's time to have higher goals.

Proverbs 31 is a great place to start. The woman who can go to bed at night and say she held her own against that standard - well, she's probably tired enough that she will sleep the sleep of the righteous (Proverbs 3).

It's late. Time to turn out the light on my nightstand. And it's time to make promises. Tomorrow, I will be a little more like the woman in Proverbs 31. That woman gets better with age.

And what woman doesn't want that?
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment