Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fallen Leaves

Our home sits on four acres. We have only one little tree. A red bud that is not even three feet tall. Even so, this morning, as I sit at the kitchen table and work at my laptop, I see leaves, carried by the wind, landing here and there on our treeless property.

There aren't enough leaves to rake. But there are leaves. And I have no idea where they came from.

Only God and the wind-He-sends can know the answer to that question.

And so it is with the Good News of Jesus Christ, which we share. We don't know where that offering will land. We cannot predict where the Wind of the Holy Spirit will take it. Or whose back yard it will find. We cannot know if it will join a host of other leaves and be raked up and tossed away.

But maybe, just maybe, it will find a home and discretely rest in someone's yard. Almost undetected. And so it will be spared. It will not be discarded.

It will remain through the winter and it will feed the soil, God's compost for spring's new birth.

One leaf.

It is so small.

Its smallness saves it.

Today, I choose to be small and let the Holy Spirit send my gifts wherever that Holy Wind chooses to blow.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful analogy Denise. I am glad the Holy Spirit sent you gift of faith my way today!

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, I've enjoyed reading your articles since my husband started publishing your column in The Catholic Times of La Crosse several years ago. I'd like to invite you to look at my new blog. I'm blogging on faith-based education, Carmelite spirituality, and related subjects.
    Thanks!
    Connie Rossini
    contemplativehomeschool.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete