Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Great American Vacation

Some of my worst arguments with those I love have been right in the middle of a vacation.

There. I said it. It's terrible, but true.

We are gearing up for another summer vacation, and I'm wondering where our selfish sides will collide. Will it be before we get out the door? Will it be while choosing a restaurant? Will it be when we are packing up our things in the hotel and getting ready to check out?

Will it happen when we are driving by Catholic churches and reading the Mass times? Is that where the vacation will derail?

In the middle of the questions, I can't help but wonder one more thing. Why do we let a great vacation go bad?

Vacations are supposed to be a time of rejuvenation. They should help us to go back to our lives and be better employees and family members.

The American vacation seems to do the opposite - at least for the Bosserts. Vacations are fertile ground for selfish tendencies to germimate, grow, and strangle the good stuff.

So say a prayer for me.

I want it to be different this year. This year, I want to go on vacation and learn how to be more selfless, not more selfish.

It doesn't sound like much of a vacation, but I think it just might be one of those crazy Christian paradoxes. A vacation wrapped up in selflessness just might be the ticket to a perfect vacation. It's time to find out if that is true.

Time to hit the road. Lord, have mercy.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment