Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Where the Double Portion of Grace is Found

The hardest section to cut with our push lawnmower is the area of the yard that slopes along the back of the house toward my Mary Garden.

The grass grows lush and deep because the rain and morning dew hang out there longer than any other place on our four-acre property. Because of this, the grass grows faster and longer and thicker there.

It has rained for days. Today, the sun finally came out, and I set my mind and body to the task of cutting the grass. I was forced to save that little section for last, to give it time enough to dry.

That meant that I had to tackle the slope and the longest grass when I was at the end of my strength.

As I rounded the corner and pointed the mower toward the Mary Garden, I saw Our Lady of Grace standing there.

And I remembered how difficult She was for me during my journey into Mother Church. I left Her for last.

I checked off Apostolic Succession and Purgatory and the Communion of Saints. One by one, I investigated Church Teaching and, once I got it, I moved on to the next Teaching.

Except Our Lady.

When I finally stopped by the nearest parish to find out how to finalize this journey, I told the priest that I was ready to come in . . . but I didn't think I could ever worship Mary. He told me I wouldn't have to. Catholics do NOT worship Mary, he said. We only worship God.

So I signed up for RCIA. But I still held on to a bias I had toward the Teaching on the Immaculate Conception. That one was too hard.

So I saved it for last.

I almost quit when December 8th rolled around. It was too much for me. But I opened my heart to whatever grace might be lingering in the journey . . . to help me persevere even now . . . even at the Immaculate Conception.

It was, indeed, the most difficult part of the journey.

But I have found that those who choose to grow near Our Lady are blessed with a greater portion of grace. The dew and rain of Baptism lingers here and the blades of grass grow stronger and taller and thicker.

And so, as I rounded that corner and aimed the mower for the most important part of the property, I offered the task up to the Cross of Christ. I prayed for those who abandon the mission here, for those who say no at this point, for those who cannot embrace the Teachings on Our Blessed Mother.

For those of you who have always called the Catholic Church your home, you may not understand how difficult this part of the journey can be for the convert.

There is enough grace, though. Grace enough for blind eyes to see, deaf ears to hear, and atrophied muscles to regenerate.

She is my Mother.

Praises to Our Lord Jesus Christ. He has shared His Mother with even me.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment