Saturday, July 18, 2009

Do We All Really Have to Agree on EVERYTHING?


If you have been reading the CBG blog this week, you know that I hit an enormous obstacle in my journey to the Catholic Church when I was introduced to the teaching on the Immaculate Conception.


Why did it matter to me? Why didn't I just say, well, that one doesn't make much sense, but I'll come on in anyway. I'm sure we don't all believe the same stuff anyway. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.


One reason. John 17


Our Lord's words needled at me, and I could not escape them. There can be no difference in what we believe. It is the reason the Early Fathers gave us the Creed. It is the reason for the Church Councils. It is the reason for the Encyclicals. It is the message in the Priestly Prayer in John 17. Read it again, and ask yourself, Do we really have to agree on everything? Jesus, in his own words to His Father:


I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me. John 17: 20-23

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment